Friday, May 1, 2009

Lone Survivor

The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10
By Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson

Recommended by Brett Berkowitz

Incredible, true, riveting survival story. There are alternate subtitles which could also describe this book . . .

How many times can one man fall from cliffs while fighting the Taliban and still land with his rifle arms length away?

Or . . . . how four SEALs fought off hundreds of Taliban fighters full of hate and the solid advantage of intimate knowledge of the terrain (see Pressfield's book review from a few books back)?

Or . . . the bravery of a village invoking the ancient law of lokhay in order to save the life of a stranger.

I loved this book, I could not put it down. It was an incredible story of friendship, bravery, the reality of war, and survival. These guys live and breath valor. I have the utmost respect for their dedication, training, and ultimate devotion to a team. I don't want to give anything away about the story, it is too good. I will simply leave you with a quote of part of the Navy Seal Philosophy:

"I will never quit . . . My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates . . . I am never out of the fight." (pg. 235)

Luttrell's recounting of this heroic story etches his memories into the pages of American history. The acts recounted in this story by these men will not be forgotten.

Book 24

No comments:

Post a Comment