Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fan Fiction

Total Aside: I thought it important to disclose that I have read an additional probably 4000 words online through what is known as "Fan Fic." It is basically fiction written by fans of famous books utilizing the characters from those books but taking them into very different places, story lines and conclusions. The ones I know about are based on Harry Potter and the Twilight series. They may exist for all kind of books or stories but I have exclusively limited my reading to Twilighted. Yes, I am a certifiable nerd about this story.

With the upcoming release of New Moon and the just released trailer to that movie it is hard to stay away. It is a complete indulgence. How can Stephanie Meyers write such a good story that you can turn it on its head, unravel it and knit it back together and the characters are still compelling, intriguing and surprising? Anyway, I will certainly have to re-read New Moon before it comes out as well.

Something unique about the experience is that I do love to see new writers unfold. It is a GREAT venue for a writer to get immediate feedback on what and how they write. It is a great way to "practice" writing. None of them can publish anything they write (Stephanie Meyers owns everything) so they do it purely for the sake of the story. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment