Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oryx and Crake

By Margaret Atwood

Recommended by Michael Foertsch

This was an incredible book. It is hard to write anything about it really, that is why I finished it almost three weeks ago and I still haven't posted. I don't want to give anything away and yet I want you to get interested and excited. Michael introduced it as "dystopian science fiction" and that is a very good description. It presents a possible future we could face based on plausible factors in our current reality.

In another sense, it is a simple story about friendship and what it means to love someone.

Although, within that, there is a lot of destruction, beasts that have been created based on two species we are familiar with joining into one and the division of earth into those that have and those that have not. The "have nots" live in a disease and virus filled world where the "have's" live in pristine "utopian" environments unknowingly creating future destruction.

Ok, I have either thoroughly disgruntled you with my smoke and mirrors or intrigued you into an incredible book about a future we could potentially live to see.

Book 56

He also recommended WE which I still need to read.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, it's tough to describe without giving too much away.

    You'll definitely enjoy _We_...

    ReplyDelete