Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kinshu: Autumn Brocade

By Teru Miyamoto

This compelling book is a series of letters exchanged between a man and a woman who were once married. After a very brief encounter on a train they are both left with freshly surfaced memories and questions. As the letters begin to go back and forth the story of their broken marriage unfolds and within it ten years of emotions and curiosity surrounding those events. The passage of time has left changes in each of the letter writers reflected by this discussion of the past.  

Witnessing the letter exchange felt almost voyeuristic as you read this intimate exchange. An exchange which is also not a complete picture or story simply because of the nature of letter writing. With no other narrative added except what was written in the letters, I was left with a sense of what remained unsaid within that exchange. A wonderful feeling as you close the book and ruminate on all of the story that you heard and that which you are left to only wonder. I really enjoyed this book.

For reasons I will not get into, half way through the book I purchased one of the very few songs I have bought on iTunes because I just needed to hear it while I was reading the book: Mozarts 39th symphony.

Book 30

No comments:

Post a Comment