Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Insurgent

By Veronica Roth


The hotly awaited sequel to Divergent, the first book I have ever pre-ordered, Insurgent did not disappoint. It picked up right where the last book left off and continued the pulsing story of those who find themselves different among an ordered society. I really enjoyed the depth of the characters, including the love interests, who did not fall back on flat stereotypes about how they were supposed to be. Instead, they had layers of complexity not always found in the genre. The action was palpable and believable. And the end! OMG, I cried but also wanted to throw the book (my iPad) across the room. Don't make me wait for the next book! It looks like my second pre-order is in the works. I continue to love Roth's descriptions of complex emotions and the realities of human interaction. I will definitely re-read the first two books before the third comes out. 


"I feel the monster of grief again, writhing in the empty space where my heart and stomach used to be." Kindle location 639


"Using pain to relieve pain." Location 1982


"He sits next to me and puts his arm on the back of my chair, leaning close. I don't stare back - I refuse to stare back.
I stare back." Location 3788


"The pain becomes an ache, spreads everywhere - all mixed together, guilt and terror and longing. 'I promise.'" Location 3866


"Telling me the time is a small act of betrayal - and therefore an ordinary act of bravery. It is maybe the first time I've seen Peter be truly Dauntless." Location 4621


"People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them." Location 6154


Book 37

No comments:

Post a Comment