Monday, June 4, 2012

Graceling

By Kristin Cashore


YA referred to me by a friend of a friend who also reads YA.


This book tells an imaginative story about finding oneself and discovering true friendship. I appreciated the sense of self-discovery that takes place during the story. Katsa believes herself to be one way but as she digs deeper she realizes these confines she has placed on herself are other peoples construction of who she is. I love this theme and how it is played out, it is a very important and relevant one to YA.


"'Hmmmm." He worked his mouth back and forth. 'You're afraid of your own anger.'
She stopped then and looked at him, because that seemed right to her. She was afraid of her own anger.'" Page 123


"A monster that refused, sometimes, to behave like a monster. When a monster stopped having like a monster, did it stop being a monster? Did it become something else?" Page 137


"'True. But you're better than I am, Katsa. And it doesn't humiliate me." He fed a branch to the fire. 'It humbles me. But it doesn't humiliate me.'" Page 181


"Could she be his lover and still belong to herself?" Page 234


Book 43

No comments:

Post a Comment