Sunday, July 1, 2012

Uglies

By Scott Westerfeld


Yes, I did read Westerfelds books for about a week straight. This one I read in one night. 


After the Leviathan series this one was a bit of a let down. The story was a more choppy and required a few major leaps in disbelief. I have a tolerance for suspending disbelief, but this one pushed my threshold a bit (both winding up in the cave!). My disappointment was more around the many points that the story could have been made deeper, the imaginative world pulled together more tightly, which would have taken this book from good to great.  It is hard to assess if this was just the birthing pains of the series or a little sloth on the part of the author. 


Although the theme is not completely unique, the imaginative idea did engaged me to the point that despite my complaints I will definitely read the rest of the series. I hope the story has had some time to percolate and gets better as it unfolds. 


Book 50

No comments:

Post a Comment