Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Code Name Verity

By Elizabeth Wein

This is a wonderful book. Its a beautiful story about friendship and bravery, told in the historical setting of World War II resistance movement. I love the two strong female characters, one of them a brave spy, the other a mechanic and ace pilot. I think about them often.

"It's like being in love, discovering your best friend." Page 81

"I dreamed I was back at the beginning and they were starting on me all over again, a side-effect of having to watch them work on someone else. The anticipation of what they will do to you is every bit as sickening in a dream as when it is really going to happen." Page 102

"Freedom, oh, freedom. Even with the shortages, and the blackout, and the bombs, and the rules, and daily life so drab and dull most of the time - once you cross the English Channel you are free." Page 173

"Funny - it seemed the most heroic thing in the wold when he told me about his friend, dead amazing that anyone could be that brave and selfless. But I didn't feel heroic when I did it - just too scared to jump." Page 361

Book 2

No comments:

Post a Comment