Saturday, May 11, 2013

Eye to Eye with Eagles, Hawks and Falcons

Glenn R Stewart

This is a wonderful, fun read. I loved learning about the birds but equally enjoyed the story of Glenn's life (which is intimately tied to the birds). I loved his descriptions of nature and our human need to be connected to it. 

"I believe, and I think many agree that intimate contact with nature is a fundamental human need, one that is increasingly going unfulfilled." Location 82

"Wilderness contact was a kind of grounding that was lacking, but needed, in our world of bustling modernity where anchors to place were few, ad caring for natural features absent." Location 651

"I found the notion of a collective unconscious compelling. As a young advocate for environmental protection, it provided a logical foundation for protecting nature as a source of psychological well-being. I reasoned that a simple experience, alone in the wilderness - such as my time in the Dosewallips River drainage - could awaken a person's ancestral memory, and with it a sense of belonging or connectedness to nature and all humanity over all time. That feeling of connectedness and its solace could be what we lack in the increasing isolation of the modern world." Location 798

Book 21

No comments:

Post a Comment