Friday, February 27, 2009

Harry Potter - The Series

J. K. Rowling

I am sure no one reading this has ever even heard of this series so let me lay it out for you . . .

Kidding.

I admit I must be the last person on the planet to read the Harry Potter series. In fact to date I have only read one but I thought I would do a continuous posting about the series since many of you have read, dissected, regurgitated and read the series again. Second, there is SO much written about the series I will not attempt to enter that dialogue. I do not want to become a Harry Potter know-it-all, there are lots of them online who have been chewing on this material for a LOT longer than me.

Feb 25: Finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
This simple yet imaginative book about a boy who does not think he has much going for him finds out he has magical powers and indeed has his own cult following. Not really comprehending the broader reality due to the urgent needs in his concrete reality (not getting beat up by his cousin and their unruly gang) he changes course at life's instruction at age 11 and the world of magic opens up to him. A miracle for the boy who was formerly allowed only to sleep under the stair case and had the family scraps on a good day and went hungry on a bad day.

What does it mean to suddenly realize you have something special when you thought yourself ordinary or down right looked down upon prior? How do you respond to that special gift? How do you treat others after acknowledging this gift?

I look forward to learning more about Harry's response to these questions and of coarse to the mysteries alluded to in this first book.

Book 13

March 1: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
To me this one was exploring the role of predestination and freedom of choice as Harry struggles to find out if he really was a Slytherin, the school prone to the Dark Arts, and if so did that mean he was somehow destined for the Dark Arts too. I liked this question and enjoyed his struggle with the question. In the end, Dumbledore says "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." A challenging thought for anyone!

I really found Lockhart a difficult character to stomach but I suppose that is the point! I continue to like Hadich (he was framed!) and Hermione (I love a serious student!) and of course Harry and Dumbledore.

I was mystified as to why Harry didn't tell Dumbledore everything he knew when he asked him if he had something to tell him. I was also surprised at how little he inquired about his parents heritage given his struggle for his own identity. There were not enough Quidditch matches in it for my taste!

Book 14

March 4: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I failed to blog after reading this since I just launched right into book 4. I liked the twists and surprises with Sirius Black. Almost as an answer to my above blog entry on book 2, you learned a lot more about Harry's parents which was very important. Their connection to Sirius and the whole way you learned the story was great fun. Dementors are frightening! I love that you defeat them partially by focusing on your happiest memories.

Book 15

March 8: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
This was the best book by far. I feel like the three previous books were laying the foundation for this one. All the people Harry had developed relationships with, all the ways that he had "done the right thing" and all the hurt and struggle he had been going through with the loss of his parents and his crappy muggle family were all leading up to this story. It was riveting! My only regret was how many chores we had to do this weekend so I didn't get to just sit and read until Sat night. The tournament was so interesting and intense, but then to have the whole thing turn on its head at the end of it was wonderful. Very exciting, engaging and inspiring book! This one hooked me, I am a fan of little Mr. Potter.

Book 16

March 15: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Book five proved to be slightly torturous. I enjoyed the torture, it was a great book. With the power of the dark side closing in, reminiscent of Nazi Germany through the Ministry and the person of Umbridge, and utter hopelessness about anyone ever believing Harry's last encounter with Lord Voldemort through most of the book I was quite indignant and upset. I also greatly missed Quidditch!

I really expected more from Sirius. Not that he was in any place to suddenly become a parent to Harry but I think the relationship between them could have been fostered more deeply. Certainly, when they ended up back at Order of the Phoenix for Christmas break there was ample time for connection and conversation. The entire year/book I felt Harry was going through Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and all he needed was someone to talk to. Therapy or a parental unit or at least a mentor. Yes, Dumbledore failed to see the human needs of a human child. Alas, no magic can make someone not miss their mum!

The mirror that Sirius had given Harry made me so sad. That was all he needed to do was have a way to communicate and a lot of this would not have happened. Harry's perceived protection of Sirius ended up being his death.

Now he has even more need for therapy than ever! If Dumbledore doesn't step up to the plate and finally teach and love Harry himself, I will be damned!

At least all the cards are on the table and he can at a minimum not have to deal with the horrific adolescent indignity of your peers laughing and jeering at you as if you are some kind of freak.

Book 17

March 24 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Well, Dumbledore certainly stepped up to the plate. The book was exactly what I wanted to experience after book 5. They really do get better and better.

I cried at the end. I can't say much more. I am quite devastated.

Book 18

March 30 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Very wonderful amazing series. I feel like I lost a friend now that it has ended. I started it on Feb 28 and finished it Monday, March 30. I want to read it again without interruption. What a nerd! I will take myself on a vacation and just read the whole series cover to cover in a few years.

Alaster "Mad Dog" Moody was I think my very favorite character. Hagrid is up there in the top few, he was after all the one who first broke it to Harry that he had magical power! Snape turned out to be just as complex and interesting as Dumbledore, all favorites. Of the kids, I guess Hermione and Ginny were my two favorite (I am assuming Harry was a favorite of course). I loved the twist on Nevill Longbottom in the last book. The whole idea of Hogwarts as torture chamber was brilliant.

The battle was mind blowing. I loved it better than Quidditch. Not much to say that has not been said already. It is a beautiful series with a lot to enjoy and appreciate!

Book 19

No comments:

Post a Comment