Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fat Girl

A True Story

By Judith Moore

Recommended by New York Times Book Review

Stark and honest. Moore writes her story with a brutality of self without succumbing to pity, excuse or blame. She writes what happened and what she experienced as a fat child growing up. She tries to strip away even her attempts as a writer to make certain facts more palatable to the reader. This is an excellent book which challenges the reader with its honesty.

"I am fat. I am not so fat that I can't fasten the seat belt on the plane. But, fat I am. I wanted to write about what it was and is like for me, being fat.

This will not be a book about how I had an eating disorder and how I conquered this disorder through therapies or group process or antidepressants or religion or twelve-step programs or a personal trainer or white-knuckling it or the love of a good man (or woman). This will be the last time in this book you will see the words 'eating disorder.'

I am not a fat activist. This is not about the need for acceptance of fat people, although I would prefer that thinner people not find me disgusting." Pg. 1

Book 45

No comments:

Post a Comment