Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Twelve

By Justin Cronin

This was the necessary second book to Passages. I say necessary because this book really was what I was looking for from a story perspective from the first book. Cronin has an incredibly patient way of writing a story. Patient is the nice way of saying it, maddening as a reader is another way to put it - and my experience oscillated between the two. Some of the strong connections I made with characters and story lines back on say page 100 of the first book (keep in mind these are seven hundred page books) did not find resolution until almost the end of this book. And I must say it put me a little bit in awe of Cronin, the discipline that takes is extraordinary. And it made for some very deep connections and satisfying story links, I found myself thinking about this book a lot outside of reading it, puzzling over it and wondering where some of the characters were going and where they had been. This was an amazing book, difficult to describe but a wonderful thing to experience. 

"Sorry, we made vampires; it seemed like a good idea at the time." (I had been waiting for this line through the whole first book!) Pg. 85

"Let me see if I have you right, the chairman intoned . . . You decided to re-engineer an ancient virus that would transform a dozen death row inmates into indestructible monsters who live on blood, and you didn't think to tell anybody about this?" Pg. 85

"Houston, what remained, was not a place for humankind; Greer wondered why anyone had ever thought it habitable to begin with." Pg. 486

"Already she was feeling it, feeling them. The too-familiar prickling along her skin and, deep insider her skull, a watery murmuring, like the caress of waves upon a distant shore." Pg. 509

Remember Alicia! 

Book 72

No comments:

Post a Comment